Last week of relative freedom…

I found, to my distress, I no longer had templates of the Course Policy Statements for the in-class courses.  I had to start from scratch, and rebuild them.  Took about an hour apiece.  The Course Schedules tool a little longer–I had to refer, with every week’s classes I created, to the Master Academic Calendar on the university website.  See, we have Labor Day (one day off) in September…Fall Break (two days) in October…last day to drop a single class, and Thanksgiving Break (three days) in November, and class ends on December 6.  I can’t just hand back their last papers, and let them revise their work for the last few class sessions, so I had to come up with something that I could assign, but that I think is actually important to learn, i.e., not busy work.

Then it hit me: I can still teach them blogging, just not as a semester long project.  They can blog for the last day or so before we let out for Thanksgiving, and for the last week of class.

So, the schedules took about two hours apiece.  Then there’s the textbooks…and loading them into Blackboard for the students to access, because there’s no printing/copy budget for my stuff, despite it all being a one-time, up-front thing.

And I will be damned if I print all of that stuff for my students.  That’s seventy-two pages for Comp I, times 25 students; and eighty-seven pages for Comp II, times 25 students.  I may not have a problem with cost (pretty cheap, considering), but that is a lot of mass for me to carry.

So.  Most of what I accomplished last week was class-related.  I didn’t get a whole lot of decluttering done, and didn’t get any writing done.

This week, my focus is going to be on my son’s bedroom.  He’s got so many toys that he can’t walk through his room, and certainly can’t play in there.  I think I have a couple of ideas, and Andrew kinda likes them.  I think my son will, too–especially as one of them should protect his take-n-play rails sets from being disjointed at the hinges by kids crawling and falling over the tops of them, as well as provide places to put his toys away.

So…goals.

1. Get some of the plastic shelving from Walmart for Daniel’s room, set it up to where he’s got two shelves running around the outsides of his room, and hot-glue his rail sets down on top.

2. Sort through his toys.  The stuff he doesn’t play with anymore can and should be given away.

3. Sort through his closet.  It’s been used as overflow storage for random junk, and that really needs to stop.

4. Try to write, since I’ve got my class stuff mostly done.