Editing phase

I’m doing two things this week: I’m editing and revising (and wow am I revising!  I’m only 1/4 of the way through the draft, and I’ve already added over 2K words of description!), and I’m looking for stock photos that can be used as cover art.

Because my favorite cover artist has something MUCH better to do with her time: she’s been cast as Pinocchio in the local little theater’s production of Shreck: The Musical.  Full-time day job plus rehearsals equals no time to create cover art.  (She’s brilliant on stage, by the way–she was Morticia Addams in a different local theater’s production of The Addams Family: The Musical last year, and did a spectacular job).

I think I’ve found a few that will work; the next bit is figuring out filters and the like to tweak the photos to better suit the story genre and type.  I’ve been reading up on cover creation to help me figure that out.  I’ve downloaded a photo editing-type program, but can’t figure it out for the life of me, and I don’t really have time to play with it.

I’ve also checked out one cover artist who does specifically that…and got my hair curled.  I am NOT at the point at which I can afford to spend that much.  I can barely afford to spend fifty bucks.

So: free downloads of stock photos and tweaking to the best of my ability it is.

I should be finished with the first draft by the end of the week, though, and will be posting a sample chapter sometime this weekend, and shipping it out to my victims volunteer beta readers soon thereafter.

I am trying, and trying really hard, to get this done so that I can publish in May.  Partially so that I can keep to the (possibly too ambitious) schedule I’d set for myself, and partially because there are other projects that want to be written.

Hades is pestering me something fierce.